I recently asked my 365 Things To Do in Kona fans what was their favorite treat in West Hawaii and the comments and opinions came flying in!
I started it off with this: “I’m going to say One Aloha Shave Ice on Kuikini for their house made syrups and ice cream” . 42 people agreed with me!
I also have to share that one of my favorite treats is the frozen Key Lime Pie at Beach Tree at the Four Seasons Hualalai. My “foodie” friend Leslie introduced that one to me a few months ago and I have had it three times since then!
We have decided to go and film the TOP five or six of these for an upcoming YouTube video. I’ll share link when it’s done! (If you have not done so, subscribe to our 365Hawaii YouTube channel and get some amazing insights, advice and stories from around the island!)
Here are some of the top comments from that comment stream to give you some inside advice from people who know a great sweet treat
- Kayas Hawaii has the best Kona Coffee and Baked goods than any other place I’ve been to! They use Kona Coffee Ice cubes so your iced coffee does t get watered down. And their Haupia Chocolate Pie, Vegan Samoa’s, Lilikoi Scones, and Chocolate Macaroons are insane!!! Go check them out in South Kona up mauka!!!
- One Aloha Shave Ice…. Hands down!! It was the one thing our family was craving when we came home to visit (we’ve been off the islands for a few years…) and they were closed the whole 2 weeks for repairs
- Scandinavian upped their game now with natural flavors and the Dole Pineapple Soft Serve in the middle!!! So we didn’t suffer too bad, but One Aloha Shave Ice Co. is world class!!
- Bubba and Finns in the Kona Inn shopping for the best Dole Whip. Whips in more than just pineapple
- I could use a slice (or 50!) of lilikoi cheesecake from The Coffee Shack right about now..
Lava Java cinnamon roll
- I’m not much for desserts but my favorite is cheesecake. I worked with the owner of 808 Cheesecake at the airport and he would bring us mini cheesecakes. Highly recommend! They’re my favorite! And such nice people! https://www.808cheesecake.com/
- Journey cafe’s ice cream parlor
- Paradise bakery donuts! Their malasadas and lilikoi glaze donuts are so good!
- Choice Mart’s Chantilly Cookies, Shaka Bradda Kine Snacks Mochi n Rice Pudding, Big Island Grills Mud Pie, Teshimas Tempure Oreo Sundae. That Thai Restaurant next to KTA tapioca puddings.
- Scandinavian shaved ice with dole whip in the middle!
- Malasada’s from food truck on the way to Hapuna beach . They have sold out a few times. Maybe I shouldn’t share.
- Ululani’s Shave Ice King Kamehameha courtyard hotel. We will be there in five weeks and we will once again as we do every time gorge ourselves. It’s the best shave ice in town and we’ve tried them all.￼￼
- It’s gotta be the Mud Pie at the Kona Inn
- “No mention of the fabulous pastries at Sundog? They might be only a Wednesday treat but so well worth it!” -Barbara
We are fortunate to have so many tasty places to satisfy your sweet tooth in Kona! Let us know in the comments which ones YOU suggest!
Here’s me at the 2022 Chocolate Festival satisfying MY sweet tooth!
Julie Ziemelis is a lifestyle blogger and Vlogger and author.
She also is a REALTOR with Keller Williams Realty-Big Island Division and would love to help connect you to resources, community and connections to help your move on OR off the island easier and with Aloha! Julie@Ziemelis.com