I can tell people are starting to wish they were sitting in 82-degree weather in January, like I am today, and not freezing on the mainland by the number of visits to my website and specifically to the posts I have written about moving to the Big Island!
In 2016, I was sitting in Lake Tahoe under MANY feet of snow and freezing my butt off wishing, hoping, and praying to get back to Kailua Kona after leaving the island for a year, so I KNOW that feeling! The real estate market on the Big Island has been very competitive, but we ARE seeing a pull back lately. (As of January 2022)
Some of you may even be thinking about living here for four months out of the year to escape the cold and then go back home and rent out your house/condo here. People do that, too!
Here are five reasons why you should stop living in freezing weather and move to the Big Island:
- It is true..it’s 82 today. There has been snow on Mauna Kea lately, so it has seemed a bit chilly, with lows sometimes dipping into the mid-60’s…imagine that.
- You won’t get frostbite. Anywhere or anytime..nope, it is just not going to happen.
- You won’t slip on the sidewalk, slide out on the road, hit black ice, have your engine block freeze up, etc.
- We may have tsunami warning signals each month, but we don’t have wind chill alerts. Ever.
- Stop with the gloves and three pairs of pants with boots-put on some shorts and sit in the sun and breathe.
We were watching a documentary on Jimmy Buffet’s fans, ParrotHeads, recently and so many of these TropRock fans talked about escapism. When life gets too short and dreams need to be realized, and sitting around for five months out the year or more in a climate that makes you miserable. It may be time for a change.
Take the BRRRR out of your life and replace it with ALOHA!
If you would like to consider buying a piece of paradise, and learning more about Hawaii and if it’s a fit for your life goals, my husband and I are both licensed REALTORS and we created a REALTOR team with expertise in markets around the island. We offer Zoom call consults to answer questions and talk about lifestyle, costs, culture, realities and risks. Contact me at JulieZPR@Gmail.com.
Check out our moving website, MoveToHawaii365.com and check out my helpful blog posts. We have a concierge style service we have created called the 365Ohana for people who are not yet working with a REALTOR and provide free resource books I wrote and entry into private Facebook groups for live events and community building. No one else is offering this service! We can also set you up on a real estate listing alert so you can see what is coming on the market.