I just have to throw a few in here, and if you have more feel free to add to the list in the comments.
1. 70% of the Big Island is zoned agriculture-forever.
2. Out of the 70% of open farm/ranch land, 20% is covered in lava and national parks.
3. From what is left, a large percentage is taken by resorts/time shares and seasonally used condominiums and mansions.
4. Of the available homes that are left for us schmoes, they are increasingly getting more expensive and living on this island, you have the highest energy prices in the country.
5. It takes a certain person to live here..you either have been here for a long time and your family is here with you, or you left everything behind on the mainland and can fly back, have learned to use Skype effectively, or you stay for less than three years. Paradise has its price.
The good news for tourists is:
1. That there are no crazy freeways with thousands of people commuting to navigate
2. If you want to get away from the masses, well, you found a good place.
3. You want to eat fresh and local? Well, we have plenty of land growing it 365!
4. Looking for a five acre farm to realize your dream of growing coffee, cacao, mangos, avocados, papayas, lettuce, macadamias, and/or vanilla? I’ve got a real estate company for you!
5. With only 186,000 of us living on a piece of land the size of Connecticut, you can rest assured that while you are visiting our lovely island that you won’t find too many crowds at the beaches, movies, concerts, or hiking trails. I can guarantee it!